The target group of participants for the mentor and support coordination program are young people 12-21 years of age who have risk of harm behaviours including substance abuse, offending, transience & homelessness, self-harm and suicide. The young person may have,
- Experienced trauma including abuse and/or neglect
- High and complex needs including a lack of receptive and expressive communication skills
- Acute levels of stress and anger management problems
- Low confidence, self-efficacy and self-esteem
- Poor resilience and lack focus of attention and effort in a positive direction
The Young people who make up the target group may have low insight into risk behaviour thus increasing their vulnerability.